Pages

Monday, September 10, 2012

Putting Things Back

After two days of driving and 1032 miles from Mom's house to ours. We traveled the last 45 miles over the bridges and through the bayou's of Louisiana which I call the swamps.

The flood waters from hurricane Isaac were receding. The water was high and covered parts of the bayou that were green before the storm.

The Eagle's had a nest in this area.
It was gone. I hope they come back.

It did not take us long to unpack and clean out the refrigerator. That is when I noticed the dirt. It covered the window sill and we could feel a layer of dust around us. We cleaned the sills and went to the grocery store to get something for supper. We decided to brave Walmart the next day to replace the refrigeratored items. Everything had to go and everything has to be replaced.

We found a lot of empty shelves. Our neighbor said it was that way last week too. We could not find a bottle of yellow mustard or Miracle Whip of any kind.

Or spaghetti noodles. Nor was there Welches Grape Jelly or any other brand of grape jelly or jam.

I will go to another grocery store this week to find the things we need.

We lost power in our area when a transformer blew. The winds brought down this tree in the back of our parking lot. Our favorite restaurant The Blue Tomato was damaged. I hope they get back up and running soon. It is our favorite place to go on those nights I don't want to cook. The trees are half naked. It took a few trips around the block for my eyes to regiser what I was seeing. The winds sucked the moisture from the leaves. The leaves that are left look worn and tired.

I am so glad my husband listened to me and we left town for this storm. I told Heather she doesn't have to worry about me. I put the storm behind me.

There are beads to bead and bracelets to finish. Life goes on and it is a good day!

5 comments:

Spirited Earth said...

glad you are back home..Hurricanes are a scary mess..and it's stuff like the empty grocery shelves that are disconcerting too..
I will never forget my drive back into Houston the sunday after Ike ..the more south i drove the worse things got..and i could not believe my yard..all over,knee to hip deep in tree debris..as was everyone elses..but worst was being without electricity for 2 full weeks..no grocery stores at all nor gas stations closer than 15 miles.
good luck with the food search..a sandwich isn't the same without MW. ;-)

Beverly Herman said...

I bought a roasted chicken the first night home. I was going to make chicken sandwhiches the next day. No MW so I got a jar of chicken gravy to make open face sandwhiches. Buying gas hasn't been a problem. Gas prices are cheaper here than anywhere else we went in our travels.

Unknown said...

Glad your journey brought you home. It gets better from here. Slowly, maybe, but better. Stay safe,

pamelaric said...

Glad you are safe and back home Bev. Also glad the only thing you lost was the stuff in the refrigerator. In case of emergency, I have 5 jars of miracle whip in the pantry. :-) Hope you can find some soon. If not, let me know and I'll overnight you a couple of jars from my stash.
Pamela
(Tucson)

Beverly Herman said...

Thanks Pam for the offer. I am sure when we go grocery shopping this weekend they will the shelves stocke. It was good hearing from you!!